What Are We Looking For?
* Experienced instructors with fresh material, teaching techniques of interest to modern quilters
* Technique-based workshops that yield some type of project
* Three-hour or six-hour workshops ***
* Intermediate to advanced levels of difficulty in content
* Photo sample for each submitted workshop. Jpegs are preferred, with a max size of 1 MB per photo.
* We are also accepting 45-minute lecture proposals on technique, history, style, and other quilting topics.
*** NOTE: If you wish to teach workshops, please be sure to submit at least one three-hour workshop concept. Three-hoor workshops are crucial to filling the QuiltCon schedule, and each workshop instructor is expected to teach at least one three-hour workshop.
As you prepare your application, ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you showing your best work? Are you showing new work? QuiltCon attendees want fresh, new workshops and lectures, so be sure to offer new options, especially if you travel to teach frequently.
2. Is your course unique? Is anyone else teaching what you are proposing?
3. If the workshop is not a quilt project, how does it directly translate to quilting techniques?
4. Are the photos of your projects professional and well done?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Where and when is QuiltCon 2023?
A: QuiltCon 2023 is scheduled to be held from February 22-26, 2023 in Atlanta, GA at the downtown Atlanta Convention Center.
Q: How many students are in each workshop?
A: All workshops are taught to groups of 24 students (handwork and domestic sewing machines) or 22 students (long-arm classes only). In long-arm workshops, two students share each machine.
Q: Is travel covered?
A: The MQG covers travel expenses for full-time instructors including airfare/mileage, hotel and a per diem. Some instructors are booked to teach a full-time schedule (18 teaching hours or more) and others may be booked for a part-time schedule (less than 18 teaching hours); those who are teaching a part-time schedule will receive a travel stipend.
Q: What topics are you looking for workshops and lectures on?
A: Recent surveys show that these are the top 5 topic areas of most interest to QuiltCon attendees:
• Improvisational Piecing/Design
• Modern Traditionalism in Modern Quilt Design
• Minimalism in Modern Quilt Design
• Domestic Machine Quilting
• Scale and Pixelization in Modern Quilt Design
You may submit up to three workshop or lecture ideas per form. If you would like to submit more, please fill out the submission form again. Feel free to indicate "refer to previous 2023 application" for any long-form fields rather than duplicating efforts on multiple applications.
Deadline: Midnight CDT on February 28, 2022. Applicants will be notified of their preliminary application status by March 18, 2022.
If you have any questions, please contact Elizabeth Dackson at email@example.com. Thank you for submitting your application to The Modern Quilt Guild.