There is no cost to submit.
We are looking for unique and beautiful special exhibits that have a demonstrable relevance to the modern quilting movement, be it historical, impactful, influential or related to the modern quilting community. Our exhibits generally fall into one of the following categories:
Previous and scheduled exhibits included:
- Roderick Kiracofe’s collection (2013)
- Bill Volckening’s collection (2015)
- The Quilts of Molly Upton (2016)
- SAQA Retrospective: Art Quilts That Inspired the Modern Quiltmaking Movement (2018)
We are actively seeking an Amish quilt collection. Please do let us know if you have information to help us book one at QuiltCon.
2. Community Exhibits: These are quilts made by group of people around a unified theme. Previous and scheduled exhibits included: QDAD (2017)
3. Charitable Exhibits – usually referring to the Guild Charity Challenge that QuiltCon hosts each year, it can also include group charity projects such as the Charleston MQG & Emanuel AME Church Project.
4. Keynote Exhibits – the retrospective work of the keynote speaker, a leading and influential person in the modern quilting movement.
The exhibits take place at a convention center, so while we take the utmost care with our exhibits, museum quality exhibits may not be considered unless there is flexibility on lumen exposure and other archival requirements.
3) All proposals should be accompanied by photo samples of the exhibit. Jpegs are preferred, with a max size of 1 MB per photo. Due to space issues, we cannot accept photos larger than our maximum size.
We are currently accepting proposals for QuiltCon 2019 and beyond. Generally, exhibits are booked 18-24 months before the QuiltCon they will exhibit at.
If you have any questions, please contact Heather Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll need to submit the following items:
- Blog post content (300-500 words)
- 2-4 images (at least 1000px on longest side, preferably horizontal). These can be process shots, but give us at least one great hero shot of the finished quilt
- Guild Instagram handle or hashtag
- Author's name or authors' names
- Author's guild position (leadership role or member) — optional
- How did your guild or team approach this year's charity challenge?
- What was your process?
- What did you learn during the challenge?
- What was your favorite part of the challenge?
- What charity will your quilt benefit?
- Anything else you want to share!
We’re looking for original, creative quilt designs to share with MQG members each month in 2018 — and we want your ideas! Submissions are now open for the 2018 Quilt of the Month series, and we’re looking for 12 new quilts. Will yours be one of them?
What We’re Looking For
- Designs should be original and never-before-published online or in print.
- Designs should have a challenging creative element (like a color study, new technique, or unique structure or piecing — we want our members to learn new things and challenge their skills!)
- We need to see your vision! You should have a visual guide to your quilt — whether it’s a sketch or computer-generated design, we need to be able to visualize your quilt as close to the final product as possible.
Required Items for Selected Quilts
Selected quilters will be asked to submit the following items. We don’t need your finished quilt, but we do ask that you take great photos and write thorough instructions that others can follow.
- Pattern instructions and pattern templates
- Illustrations and/or diagrams for construction and assembly
- Photos of the finished quilt
- Personal information like Instagram handle, website, bio, headshot, and MQG Guild (we’ll use this info to give you credit and talk about how awesome you are!)
How to Submit (and Important Dates)
- Decide how long it will take you to complete the quilt from the time of acceptance. An accurate timeline will help us determine which months to release patterns, so please be as accurate as possible.
- Create a visual guide to your quilt by sketching or making a computer-generated version.
- Fill out the form on the following page with your information and quilt design.
- Submission deadline is September 16, 2017.
- Notifications will be sent by September 30, 2017.
- Patterns, photos and other deliverables will be due in batches:
- Batch 1: December 15, 2017
- Batch 2: March 15, 2018
- Batch 3: June 15, 2018
- Batch 4: August 15, 2018
Designers retain all rights to their quilt patterns, and we compensate you for the right to first publish the pattern in our MQG newsletter and on our website. Selected designers will be issued a contract. If you have any questions, please email Riane at email@example.com. And to see past examples, visit the Resources tab on the MQG Community site.